TAFP members: I’m here to help
TAFP members: I’m here to help
By Bradley Reiner
Did you know?
- Did you know the Texas Academy of Family Physicians has a practice management consultant representing you?
- Did you know the consultant is available for free e-mail and phone consultations because of your TAFP membership?
- Did you know he worked for Texas Medical Association for 10 years and has owned a practice management consulting firm for the last 14 years?
- Did you know he offers practice management services at a discount because of your membership with TAFP?
- Did you know he is a billing and coding reviewer for the Texas Medical Board?
- Did you know you have nothing to lose and you should contact him to ask any practice management question?
What are you waiting for?
You may not have any practice management questions. You might feel your practice is running smoothly and think you don’t need any help. However, I would wager that at some point you will have questions you need answered. Some of these questions might include:
- What are the chances of renegotiating my insurance contracts for increased reimbursement?
- What can I do to avoid a payer audit?
- Is my practice running as smoothly and efficiently as it should?
- What things can I do to reduce my overhead?
- Am I maximizing my collections in the office?
- How can I ensure I’m documenting the highest code level based on the nature of the presenting problem?
- What are the key elements in hiring the right staff?
The point to all of this is that I’m available to help answer any practice management questions you or your staff may have. All you have to do is call or send me an e-mail. That’s what I’m here for. This service is included in your membership, so why not use it?
If you do have questions and it looks like I may need to come on site for an evaluation, you are entitled to a discount for my services. Here is a list of services I can provide.
Billing and coding reviews
A billing and coding review is done to determine if the billing and front office staff is efficient in maximizing the collection of revenues. It will also determine if the practice is following Medicare, Medicaid, and other payer’s guidelines for appropriate, medically necessary billing and coding. Efficiency in coding and billing improves revenue generation.
Compliance and documentation audits
A compliance and documentation review is provided to determine if physicians and physician extenders are coding evaluation and management services correctly. A sample of the documentation is audited and recommendations made to assist with coding at the most appropriate level. Training can be provided to aid doctors and physician extenders to code efficiently and document appropriately. Documenting at correct code levels is critical to accurate payment and compliance with all insurance payers. This avoids refunds or penalties assessed. This will also help maximize revenue if under coding exists.
A practice evaluation/assessment is an operational and financial study of an existing medical practice. This evaluation provides a comparative analysis to other practices of the same specialty. Encounter or case data is reviewed and compared as well as financial ratios. Staff efficiency and workflow is another major component as is review of the reimbursement area. This review gives the practice a snapshot of where it is and what needs to change to operate successfully.
Managed care contract negotiation
Contract review and negotiation services will help maximize revenue for the practice by identifying insurance carriers with unfavorable fees and determining opportunities for negotiation. Increasing fees helps assist the practice in generating additional revenue.
Staff recruiting and human resource management
I can assist practices with recruiting quality staff for their office including providers. High quality staff is vital to a practice’s success.
Other practice issues
General practice management resources as requested.
Don’t delay—take advantage of TAFP’s partnership. Questions and e-mails cost you nothing and you might find that I can help your practice thrive. If you want to talk to someone who has used my services in the past, I’m happy to provide references as well. I look forward to speaking to you soon.
Bradley Reiner, formerly with Texas Medical Association, is now owner of Reiner Consulting and Associates. He can be reached at (512) 858-1570 or firstname.lastname@example.org.