Medical students: Apply for TMLT scholarships
The Texas Medical Liability Trust is now accepting applications for the annual TMLT Memorial Scholarship Program. Launched in 2005, the program awards $40,000 in scholarships annually to Texas medical students who are interested in finding creative and effective ways to enhance patient safety.
The four scholarship recipients will be chosen in a competitive process that weighs students’ financial need along with their ability to evaluate the patient safety concerns in a closed claim study and communicate their recommendations in an essay. Entries will be judged by the TMLT Board of Governors, which is composed of nine Texas physicians.
All application materials are available at www.tmlt.org. The deadline to apply for the scholarship is Tuesday, June 1, 2010, and winners will be announced in August 2010.
To be eligible for the scholarship, applicants must:
- be entering their third or fourth year of study at a Texas medical school in the fall of 2010;
- be in good academic standing;
- be able to demonstrate financial need;
- be able to communicate a commitment to patient safety and medical risk management through an essay; and
- be a current student member of (or have a student application pending with) the Texas Medical Association.
To apply, students should submit the following:
- a completed application;
- an official medical school transcript; and
- a short essay of no more than 500 words describing the risk management considerations for a closed claim study provided with the application.
TMLT is a physician-owned, health care liability claim trust offering medical liability insurance products to Texas physicians. Created in 1979 by Texas Medical Association, TMLT currently protects more than 14,500 doctors in all specialties practicing in all areas of the state.