Texas Family Medicine Scholars Program
The TAFP Foundation was thrilled to launch a new initiative in 2020 to recognize and further develop the leadership skills of a resident at a Texas family medicine residency program. We are beginning the search for our next scholars. Two scholars will be selected during their first year of residency and remain in the program until they complete their training. The residents will receive a total of $10,000 to be paid throughout their training. They will be paired with a mentor, receive travel funding to attend specific meetings, and they’ll be asked to develop a project or presentation during the program to further the goals of TAFP or the TAFP Foundation. The goal of the scholarship is to develop a series of leaders who will continue to give back to their specialty and community.
Eligibility and criteria
- Applicant must be a TAFP resident member in their first year of residency at a Texas family medicine residency program, only one resident per residency program may apply each year
- Applicant has demonstrated leadership ability, community involvement/social commitment, exemplary patient care, and interpersonal relationship skills
Application process and timeline
Applicants must complete the online application and submit the required documentation by January 21, 2022, and will be notified by February 21 if they are selected for an interview. Interviews will be virtual and held sometime in March or early April. A recipient will be named by the end of April.
Application materials required
- Brief online application, including contact information, the name of your medical school and residency, your leadership and volunteer experience, and your honors and awards received
- A current curriculum vitae limited to five pages
- A personal statement (no more than two pages) to address the following:
Why did you choose family medicine? What obstacles or barriers have you overcome to achieve your goals? What experience do you have in leading peers or others? Why do you think developing leadership skills and striving to be a leader is important for your future career?
- A letter of recommendation from your program director
- A letter of recommendation from another TAFP member (can be another faculty member or another resident)
|May – June 2022||Initial $2,500 scholarship will be provided before the end of the first year of residency. A mentor will be identified, and discussion will begin on what type of project or presentation should be completed.|
|Fall 2022||Up to $800 in funding will be provided for scholar to attend TAFP’s Annual Session and Primary Care Summit.|
|April 2023||Up to $600 in funding will be provided for scholar to attend TAFP’s C. Frank Webber Lectureship and Interim Session.|
|June 2023||The second payment of $2,500 will be provided to scholar.|
|Fall 2023||Up to $1,500 in funding will be provided for scholar to attend AAFP’s Congress of Delegates.|
|April 2024||Up to $1,200 in funding will be provided for scholar to attend AAFP’s Annual Leadership Conference in Kansas City.|
|April – June 2024||Completion of leadership project|
|June 2024||The final payment of $5,000 will be provided to scholar upon completion of residency and leadership project.|