1982 — Lawrence Feller, MD
1983 — Weldon G. Kolb, MD
1984 — Barry N. Squyres, MD
1985 — William R. Gaddis, MD
1986 — Durwood Neal, MD
1987 — O. C. Cooper, MD
1988 — Bobby Jack Estes
1989 — Seth Cowan, MD
1990 — A. Earl Mgebroff, MD
1991 — Walt Wilkerson Jr, MD
1992 — Robert Sullivan, MD
1993 — Jack L. Eidson, MD
1994 — Norma Porres, MD
1995 — William C. Smith, MD
1996 — Harold R. High, MD
1997 — Raymond Thomas, MD
1998 — Leonard Paul, MD
1999 — Douglas Curran, MD
2000 — Leah Raye Mabry, MD
2001 — Donald R. Niño, MD
2002 — David Wright, MD
2003 — Louis B. Hughes, MD
2004 — T. David Greer, MD
2005 — Cayetano Barrera, MD
2006 — Erica Swegler, MD
2007 — John Richmond, MD
2008 — John Ramsay, MD
2009 — Larry Karrh, MD
2010 — Lloyd Van Winkle, MD
2011 — Tom E. Mueller, MD
2012 — Justin Bartos III, MD
2013 — Jasmine Sulaiman, MD
2014 — Russell Thomas, DO
2015 — Antonio Falcon, MD
2016 — K. Ashok Kumar, MD
2017 — Jorge Duchicela, MD
Texas Family Physician
of the Year
In existence since 1982, the Physician of the Year Award is one of TAFP’s highest honors. The Commission on Membership and Member Services urges all TAFP members to consider their colleagues and submit nominations.
- Provide the community with compassionate and caring medical service on a continuing basis,
- Be directly and effectively involved in community activities that enhance the quality of life of his/her home area,
- Provide a credible and invaluable role model, as a healer and human being to the community, and as a professional in the science and art of medicine to colleagues, other health professionals and, especially to young physicians in training and medical students,
- Be in good standing in the medical community,
- Be active, practicing members of AAFP and TAFP,
- Have been in practice for at least 10 years with no plans to retire for at least two years, and
- Spend at least 50 percent of the time in active practice and/or family medicine education.
- Submit a completed nomination form,
- Submit a typed copy of a current curriculum vitae limited to three pages, and
- Submit a current 5 x 7 head-and-shoulders photo of the candidate.
- Maximum of eight pages (note: supporting documentation does not include the nomination form or CV),
- One side only, no more than two letters per page,
- All pages must be photocopy-ready and of reproducible quality, and
- The entire packet should be mailed flat — do not fold.
The Commission on Membership and Member Services will judge submissions.
2018 awards will be presented at the TAFP Annual Session and Primary Care Summit in Arlington on Nov. 10, 2018.
Questions should be addressed to Kathy McCarthy by email at email@example.com or by phone at (512) 329-8666, ext 114.
Nominations must be received by TAFP by March 12, 2018.
Please mail or email nominations to:
Texas Academy of Family Physicians
12012 Technology Boulevard, Suite 200
Austin, Texas 78727